I’ve got some good news for you – staying organized is much easier than getting organized. To keep things in good order indefinitely, follow these six easy tips.
1) Don’t Put It Down, Put It Away – This is the Golden Rule of staying organized. Make sure you put everything back in it’s designated place – resist the urge to just set it down. You can save a lot of time in the long run by taking just a couple of seconds now.
2) One Item In, One Item Out – If a new item comes into your home, one older item should be tossed, donated, or sold.
3) Make a Place for Everything – Find a logical “home” for every new item–and keep it there.
4) Do a Seasonal Clean Sweep – Four times a year, take an inventory of your house and garage, with a laundry basket in hand. Look at each item you own and ask yourself:
Is this item useful to me now or will it be in the near future?
Is this important to me as a piece of memorabilia?
If you answered “no” to both of these questions then, donate, sell, or toss the item. Repair items that need repair and then return them to their designated places.
5) Police Your Closet — Look through everything in your closet and ask:
Does the item fit?
Is it in good condition?
Is it in style?
If there are items in your closet that fail one or more of these questions, sell, donate, or toss them. If your weight regularly fluctuates and you think you will be able to wear an item in the near future, keep it in a separate section of your closet.
6) Get a free Home Organization e-Solutions Kit – It’s filled with tips, ideas and inspiration to help you get and stay organized. It’s available at http://www.ClearSimpleLiving.com.
Heidi is a professional organizer, creator of The Fast-Filing Method home filing system, & publisher of Life Made Simple e-Magazine. Heidi energizes her readers’ lives by teaching effective organizational systems to help you accomplish more & GAIN peace of mind! Visit ClearSimpleLiving.com to get a complimentary subscription AND a FREE Home Organization Kit.