Everyone has at least one goal in life; To be rich, to be happy, to have a family, to be a CEO, to have that car or that house.
But not many have set their goals in writing with a deadline, to be exact about 2% of all adults have set their goals in writing.
The interesting fact is that those 2% make as much money as the other 98% put together. If you want to succeed, setting goals firmly in writing isn’t an option, it is a requirement.
The First time I set Goals
When I was 19 years old I was working for a very successful sales company. We were doing very well, but because of some senior employees leaving morale was a little low, the managers decided they were going to teach us to set our goals, which would make us motivated again.
We learned the step by step process for setting goals and followed them one by one.
For many it became a great source of motivation to see their goals in writing and to be able to see how their actions today were moving them towards their goals.
For me, it had the opposite effect, not that they didn’t motivate me, but I realized that the things I was doing weren’t moving me towards my goals.
I quit my job and started working with other things more in line with my dreams. The goal setting exercise had the wrong affect for my employer, but it changed my life for the better. With a focus I had never before experienced I started working on my goals and moving towards them faster and faster.
The 8 steps of goal setting:
1. Long term goals in all four major areas of your life.
The four areas are Family, Health, Career and Finance. You need goals in all areas.
Imagine your life as perfect, as if you already had the perfect family situation, were in perfect shape, had your dream career and had accomplished your financial goals.
Write down those goals.
2. Short term goals in all four major areas of your life.
A short term goal is like a milestone on your way to what you are really striving for. Generally they are about one year down the line, and they will help you follow your progress on your long term goals. Make sure the short term goals motivate you to work hard on their completion. Write down a short term goal in each area of your life.
Set a deadline for each goal – both short and long term. By what date do you want to have completed your goals?
It is important that all your goals can be measured. You need to know when you have succeeded. For example don’t write “I want a lot of money” instead set an exact figure “I want to have one million dollars” or “I want to win this competition”.
5. Write your goals in the positive, present tense and add your deadline.
Now, rewrite your goals. Write them as if you had already completed them.
In other words “I have one million dollars”, instead of “I want one million dollars” and then add the deadline. “I have one million dollars by the 31 of December 2014.”
This activates your subconscious mind to start pulling events and opportunities to you. It also helps you follow your progress and gives you a definite target.
6. Read your goals, listen to yourself, what do you feel?
Do you feel motivated to start working on your goals at once? Are you motivated to take action? If not, the goal isn’t worth your time. Go back and set one you really want.
7. Make plans for your goals completion
Write down how you plan to complete each goal.
“I have one million dollars by the 31 of December 2014. I have made this money by selling a company that does “this and that” and sells “this and that”. I will first start the company as a part time job until I have enough customers to start working full time. When that is achieved I will ….” and so on until you have a comprehensive plan for the completion of the goal.
You will not get your plans right the first time
Every time you fail, go back to your plan and revise it. Use the knowledge you have acquired and make a new plan to take action on.
8. Put the paper somewhere you will see it every day.
Either tape it to your bathroom mirror or put it beside your bed. What is important is that you read it every morning and evening.
Goal setting can be a powerful source of motivation and it activates universal laws like the law of attraction. It is a wonderful tool.
Try out this exercise and become one of the top 2% in the world.
I hope you liked this article and found it useful.
If you would like to read more from Daniel M. Wood you can find more at his blog Looking to Business.com. He has a free newsletter “Your Path to Your Dreams” which is an email course that will help you move quickly towards your goals, when you join you will even receive a free copy of his ebook “How to Make Selling Easy”!
Join Your Path to Your Dreams Today!
Don’t Forget To Follow Us On Twitter!
How To Increase Self Discipline
How To Motivate Yourself